Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Well what a treat I had on Tuesday night. I went to the usual Miners Arms Open no mic and there was a guest slot from a guy called Michael Basset
http://www.myspace.com/michaelbasset
and website

He had a violinist/viola player with him and a bass player and they played a wonderful set - he plays guitar with a great gift of rhythm which echoes of ancient percussion. He has the most unique voice spanning a great range and marvellous lyrics. I really think he's one of the best things I've seen in a while. He's an American singer songwriter currently living here in the UK.

Michael Bassett














I feel so privileged to get to see so much live music. The Tuesday sessions are amazing - you see complete beginners to really polished acts - but all are respected and the people really listen - I love playing there. Sarah Joy, the woman who runs the evening is a really good singer songwriter as well.

Sarah Joy

Today I went to the songwriting group and this evening I had a practice with Paddy (keyboard player). We have a gig on April 18th here in Bristol.

By the way - did I tell you that I'm off to the Gambia on Mar 18th for a couple of weeks. I'm going to do voluntary work at the WYCE project, attend the Kartong Festival, do a live radio interview/set and then have a week's drumming lessons with Modou Diouf. I'm so excited - I haven't been away out of the country for ages.

No comments: